[pypy-dev] Linux x86-64 binary (64bit, built on Ubuntu 14.04) - much slower implementation warning

Matti Picus matti.picus at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 07:12:00 EDT 2019

On 18/9/19 11:06 pm, Sapna D'Souza wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am benchmarking python vs pypy and tried running my code using Linux
> x86-64 binary (64bit, built on Ubuntu 14.04)
> <https://bitbucket.org/pypy/pypy/downloads/pypy3.6-v7.1.1-linux64.tar.bz2>from
> the downloads section of pypy.org <http://pypy.org>
>
> I observe the following when I execute my scripts:
>
> much slower implementation (libssl.so.1.0.0: cannot open shared object
> file: No such file or directory)
>

> Can someone let me know if there is a way to get past this or if this
> will be fixed in an upcoming release? I am seeing the run time more
> than double when compared to regular python with this version.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Luna

I think part of your message was cut off. Did it say something like "The
_hashlib module is not available, falling back to a much slower
implementation"?

If this is the case, the pypy you downloaded is not compatible with your
platform. You may have better luck if you download a portable PyPy from
https://github.com/squeaky-pl/portable-pypy.

If you can show us your code perhaps we can give you some pointers.

Matti