[pypy-dev] Differences performance Julia / PyPy on very similar codes

Yury V. Zaytsev yury at shurup.com
Tue Dec 22 16:08:14 EST 2020

On Tue, 22 Dec 2020, Carl Friedrich Bolz-Tereick wrote:

> That said, I can understand that 5x slower is still a somewhat
> disappointing result and I suspect given enough effort we could maybe
> get it down to around 3x slower.

Just to clarify, if I understand you correctly, you mean that by investing
some serious effort into optimising those "small" inefficiencies one could
improve the situation from 5x to 3x.

However, I wonder if anything could be done on the SIMD front in a rather
generic way with a reasonable investment of time but without going the
full NumPyPy way, e.g. by doing something special for tight loops
performing math on objects with a special layout (lists, arrays)...

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev