[pypy-dev] Moving PyPy to https://foss.heptapod.net

Matti Picus matti.picus at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 04:59:00 EST 2020

I would like to propose we move off bitbucket and onto
https://foss.heptapod.net. I have opened an issue to request the hosting
https://foss.heptapod.net/heptapod/foss.heptapod.net/issues/11. As part
of the process, we need to

- review the heptapod workflow
https://heptapod.net/pages/faq.html#workflow, which

   - changes our default workflow to "Publishing is restricted to
project masters" (I think that means only project masters can push/merge
to published branches, but am not sure about the terminology), however
we could override that

   - disallows personal forks on the instance

- add an as-yet-undefined logo and link to Clever Cloud and Octobus in
our documentation and website

- decide which repos to abandon. On the issue above I proposed
transferring only a subset of our bitbucket repos, please make sure your
favorite is included

If I don't hear any dissent by Feb 12 (one week from now) I will move
forward with this process. As soon as the repos are copied, I will start
to close the bitbucket instances for new contributions:

- block changes to the active branches (default, py3.6, py3.7 of pypy,
and the HEAD branch of the other repos); any new contributions will have
to be done via the heptapod instance

- add a notice to the issue tracker that new issues should be done on
heptapod

- change the links for the buildbot master, documentation, and website
to point to the new locations

Things that still need resolution before bitbucket closes in May:

- what to do about downloads? It is not clear that the gitlab instance
has a place for artifacts. Assume we find a solution, how far back do we
want to keep versions?

- what to do about the wiki
https://foss.heptapod.net/heptapod/foss.heptapod.net/issues/14

The CFFI repo will also move in much the same way as the others:
transition on Feb 12 and block new contributions on bitbucket soon after.

What else have I not thought of?

Matti