[pypy-dev] pypy 3.6 and WinXP

Denis Cardon dcardon at tranquil.it
Fri May 29 04:44:49 EDT 2020

Hi Joseph,

Le 05/28/2020 à 10:56 PM, Joseph Jenne via pypy-dev a écrit :
> On 5/28/20 8:58 AM, Denis Cardon wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> sorry if this is not the best place to ask the question, feel free to
>> forward me to a better place for this kind of question :-)
>>
>> I was wondering PyPy 3.6 is supposed to run on WinXP SP3 32bit.
>> Running the pypy3.exe says that it not a valid win32 app (but it runs
>> fine on win7), like if it was a 64bit application only... The vc2015
>> dependency install fine on WinXP however there is no mention on PyPy
>> website if it supposed to work...
>>
>> WinXP is actually still very common in industrial setups and it would
>> be great if it would work with PyPy as CPython has drop WinXP support
>> after 3.4.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Denis
> Although it may make sense to support it, Windows XP is long past end of
> life, and so continued support for it should not be expected, since even
> Microsoft doesn't support it anymore.

thanks for your answer. I completely agree that WinXP shouldn't be used
in office setup anymore. However in industrial setups it is still a very
common (perhaps the most common?) operating system. In this kind of
industrial setup change of OS is very costly (you may need to change
hardware, connectivity card, or even the whole CNC machine). Those
system are obviously not connected to the internet... Actually seeing a
MSDOS, a QNX or NT4 machine in factory is not that uncommon... With that
in perspective WinXP seems modern :-)

CPython>3.4 is not compatible with WinXP anymore, and as it is more
reliant on C code and on recent VCRedist, I guess there is not much hope
on this side.

On the other hand PyPy is using vcredist2015 (which is still compatible
with XP) and and is less reliant on C Code.

So I was wondering if there is any reasons for PyPy3.6 not to work on
XP? If you think it is just a compile time issue, I'll be happy try to
rebuild it on WinXP. If it has some more tricky issues, I'd be willing
to spend some time / money on this.

The use case is for WAPT, a Software Deployment solution that use Python
as its packaging scripting language.

Cheers,

Denis

[1] https://www.wapt.fr/en/doc/

Denis Cardon
Tranquil IT
12 avenue Jules Verne (Bat. A)
44230 Saint Sébastien sur Loire (FRANCE)
tel : +33 (0) 240 975 755
http://www.tranquil.it

Tranquil IT recrute! https://www.tranquil.it/nous-rejoindre/
Samba install wiki for Frenchies : https://dev.tranquil.it