[pypy-dev] pypy 3.6 and WinXP

Armin Rigo armin.rigo at gmail.com
Sun May 31 03:03:29 EDT 2020

Hi,

On Fri, 29 May 2020 at 20:10, Joseph Jenne via pypy-dev
<pypy-dev at python.org> wrote:
> I don't have much experience with the windows side of pypy, especially
> on XP, but I would suggest trying to compile for your system, as I do
> not know of any reasons for incompatibility. That said, perhaps using a
> somewhat older version might be preferable, depending on the specifics
> of your use case

Joseph, this sounds like very generic advise, of which Denis is likely
aware.  Denis, my offer to discuss things concretely on
pypy-z at python.org still stand.  We are not aware of any WinXP-specific
issues because we have never tried to build PyPy there.  Likely, it
doesn't work out of the box.  My guess is that we need to remove some
WinAPI calls along with the corresponding Python-level functions, and
we'd end up with a separate build that misses some functions (likely
obscure and specific ones from the 'os' module, for example).  Ideally
we wouldn't rebuild ourselves every release but let you do it.
Whatever the result, we wouldn't do it for free, but if it's only a
matter of carefully removing a bit of functionality then it can
probably be done at a reasonable price.  If you want to give it a go
yourself, you're welcome too, and we'd be happy to merge a branch
which adds a translation flag to remove dependencies on non-WinXP
functionality, for example.