[pypy-dev] help needed: libffi and recent macOS

Yury V. Zaytsev yury at shurup.com
Sun May 31 17:39:31 EDT 2020

On Sun, 31 May 2020, Matt Billenstein via pypy-dev wrote:

> I think if you want to ship portable binary packages, they should be
> self-contained - you can't really know what Apple is going to include or
> remove from release to release.
>
> I think this principle holds on the various Linux distros as well - you
> can't know what version of the various dependencies is going to be
> installed.

Well, the principled approach would be to do something like

   https://github.com/squeaky-pl/portable-pypy

... only it's a hell a lot of work, and the current package is "portable
enough", so not sure this effort even makes a lot of sense.

> I'm going to remove the homebrew ffi from the PKG_CONFIG_PATH - should
> cause the system ffi to get used.

Sounds great - probably one can do some trickery with -L & -I to force the
build script to pick the system version over brew, but it's surely a lot
of hassle and not really desirable.

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev