[pypy-dev] About PySide2

Matti Picus matti.picus at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 04:43:12 EDT 2020

On 10/1/20 12:12 AM, Mustafa Ulubas wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Hope you are doing well.
>
> I'm currently working on a project which I'm trying to use PyPy in
> order to speed up our simulation processes. There are a couple of
> dependencies that our project has including PySide2.
>
> I've tried to install PySide2 into PyPy however I couldn't. From what
> I understand as a result of my investigations, currently, PyPy doesn't
> support PySide2.
>
> First of all, is that true? Does PyPy really not support it?
>
> Is there any way to install it?
>
> I'll be waiting for your response.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Mustafa

Hi. Thanks for trying PyPy. I tried to build PySide2 with PyPy back in
July, and both PySide2 and PyPy were adjusted to support the recent
7.3.2 release. With that, you will need to build from source, which can
be painful.

For getting a binary build, I think your best bet would be to use conda.
Support right now is not in place, but there are intentions to make it work.

On the performance side, it is expected that the interface layer via the
C-API will be slower than CPython, while your pure python code may run
faster than CPython.

Matti