[pypy-dev] New Python/PyPy extension for object oriented numerically intensive codes ?

Yury V. Zaytsev yury at shurup.com
Tue Jan 5 09:06:02 EST 2021

On Tue, 5 Jan 2021, PIERRE AUGIER wrote:

> I thought about what was missing and it seems to me that it could be
> provided by a Python/PyPy extension without addition to the Python
> language. However, Numpy API is IMHO not adapted. Now that Python is
> (and will be more and more) compared to Julia, I think it becomes
> necessary to have a good tool to write efficient numerical codes in pure
> Python style.

Hi Pierre,

I assume that you've had a detailed look at Cython, hand't you? All three
points that you've listed are solved there in one way or another.

Of course, it comes with its own set of tradeoffs / disadvantages, but in
my scientific life I can't say I was really constrained by them, because
Cython blends with Python so naturally (per module and per function), so I
was actually always starting with pure Python and then going down up to
the level of SIMD assembly for 1% of the code where it actually mattered
(99% time was spent)... plus the whole MPI story for scaling.

I'm afraid the situation is simply so good that there is too little
motivation to solve this in Python itself :-/ and solving it in Python has
its own problems. I guess first one really needs to find cases, when
solving it in Python is rationally mandated to gather enough momentum.

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev