[pypy-dev] Program slower on Pypy 7.3.3 (3.7.9) than CPython 3.9.

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 13:32:19 EDT 2021

Hi folks.

I've modified my code to use str.startswith instead of re.match.  I had a
one-to-one correspondence between filenames and regexes anyway, so it
doesn't really sacrifice anything.

This way the original app (music-pipeline) is nice and fast now on pypy3
7.3.3.

I'm leaving the various SSCCE's at
https://stromberg.dnsalias.org/svn/regex-fodder/trunk in case someone wants
to use them to replicate the problem going forward.  They're commented to
describe what they do and whether they are fast or slow.  As Carl said, the
issue seems to be that pypy3 7.3.3 doesn't like having very many regular
expressions in the same program - even if only one compiled regex exists at
any given time (no-longer-needed regexes disposed of with del).

Thanks again!