[pypy-dev] A little problem in unicodeobject.py

Kevin Lee lql9705 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 20:35:54 EDT 2021

Dear developers of PyPy:

I found that there might be a little bug in `unicodeobject.py`.

Our project relies on `sys.setdefautencoding('utf-8')` to handle string
encoding things(we use Python2.7), which is not a good practice though,
when we
upgrade pypy to 7.1.0 and any version newer than it,  our project stops
working with tons of UnicodeEncodeError exceptions. There is already an
issue 3329 <https://foss.heptapod.net/pypy/pypy/-/issues/3329#note_156942>
described
this problem, I left my comment
<https://foss.heptapod.net/pypy/pypy/-/issues/3329#note_156942> below it
which provided our solution to this problem. But I am not sure our solution
is the correct way,
and I tried to make a merge request but it then said that I don't have
write permission, so I decided to write an email.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you guys soon.

Best regards,
Kevin