[pypy-dev] seeking pypy gc configuring guideline

Armin Rigo armin.rigo at gmail.com
Sat May 22 04:00:06 EDT 2021

Hi Raihan,

On Sat, 22 May 2021 at 09:05, Raihan Rasheed Apurbo <apurbo97 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I was trying to run pypy using semispace gc. But as it stands currently I
> can only compile using incminimark and boehm. What changes I have to make
> so that I would be able to test pypy with any existing gc implementation?
> Moreover I want to write my own version of gc and test with pypy. In
> future. Can anyone point me where do I have to make changes to make my
> implementation of any arbitrary gc work? So far I was able to compile an
> edited version of incminimark gc.
> Any suggestions or link to any perticular documentation would be
> appreciated.
>
> p.s. I ran pypy with the following command and got this error. I can run
> same command just replacing incminimark in place of semispace.

This screenshot contains the whole explanation in bold red text: some
components of PyPy have evolved over time to depend on special features of
the GC.  These features have been implemented only in the 'incminimark' and
the 'boehm' GC.  For experimentation with other GCs, you can disable these
components---like the 'cpyext' module of PyPy---by following the
instructions in the bold red text.

Note also that if you want to play with the GC, it makes little sense to
translate a complete PyPy every time.  You should at least have a small
RPython program, much simpler than the whole PyPy, and use that for
testing.  But ideally you should look at the way we write various tests in
rpython/memory/.

A bientôt,

Armin