[py-dev] move tests into their own directory ...

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Sun Dec 19 17:32:55 CET 2004

In a message of Sun, 19 Dec 2004 17:15:38 +0100, holger krekel writes:
>Hi Laura,
>
>On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 17:06 +0100, Laura Creighton wrote:
>> For what it's worth, I think it is a very good idea.
>
>thanks for your attention and your comment!  I was
>so far in doubts whether to keep the tests close to
>the implementation in the same directory.  But i now lean
>towards using a separate directory.  (but py.test
>will continue to find all test_*.py and *_test.py files,
>of course).
>
>Eventually i want to get rid of *.pyc files as well in
>favour of installing them in a platform specific directory.
>The basic idea here is to have completely clean
>implementation directories and being able to use
>the same py-lib checkout for multiple python versions
>effectively (without recompiling all the time). This need
>became more apparent, now that we support C-translation
>on the fly (e.g. py.magic.greenlet).

This should prove to be extremely popular.  The Holger Krekel fan
club may increase.

>However, it's not completly obvious how to get to such
>persistent storage and due to permission issues it probably
>needs to be per-user as well (which should hardly be a
>problem).

I don't know how windows is handling users these days.  In the old
days that would be a problem, since there weren't any users.  Do
we need to support this, I wonder out loud ...

>cheers & greetings from R'dam,
>
>    holger
>
>P.S.: btw, we are happily using your utestconvert script
>      for converting pypy's unittest.py based tests and
>      so far it works well!  I plan to make it available
>      one way or another with the py lib if you don't mind.

This is great to hear.  Of course I don't mind -- I thought that
this was part of the plan already.  But thank you for asking.
By the way, in addition to commenting back in 'assertRaises
becomes raises' there is one other defect of my program.  It
does not remove the 'import unittest' lines.  Or have you already
added that while I was not looking?

cheers from Göteborg,
Laura