[py-dev] using docstrings for test descriptions

Frederik Dohr fdg001 at gmx.net
Wed Jul 8 21:12:17 CEST 2009

Thanks for the kind response!

>>      http://gist.github.com/141977
>
> Python's unittest.py uses the docstrings to substitute the test
> function name with the docstring.  Imitating this "py.test --verbose"
> could look like this:
>     lorem ipsum: PASS

I had intentionally avoided that in my proposal, as I didn't want to
break the standard (machine-readable) "file:line:message" format.
Not entirely sure whether that's a valid concern though.

> I think you can just patch py.test proper, more specifically
> py/test/plugin/pytest_terminal.py

Thanks, that looks promising.
Might take me a week or two to come up with something presentable
(things are a little busy, in part due to the post-conference backlog),
but I'll definitely give it a shot and report back here.

-- F.