[py-dev] execnet / GPL licensing

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Fri Sep 18 14:18:48 CEST 2009

Hi Holger,

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 03:07:58PM +0200, holger krekel wrote:
> my understanding: Your contributions - e.g. most of rsync.py -
> would remain MIT licensed.  Execnet distributed as a whole
> package could only be used under the GPL (if i GPL my parts
> and future work), however.  Does that match your understanding?

I'm afraid not; I'm thinking notably about the reorganization of the
execnet code I did long ago (around r13661), which still leaves e.g. 109
lines from me in channel.py (30%).  I'm not really going to enforce my
position in any way because I'm happy to stick with old versions of
execnet for my own usage, but I'm just saying that I would informally
consider this as *slightly* unfair reuse of my part of the work.  Well,
you might want to investigate the position of other people too (e.g.
cfbolz and jan, who also have lines in channel.py).

A bientot,

Armin.