[py-dev] OpenStack

Brack, Laurent P. lpbrac at dolby.com
Tue Mar 20 18:27:00 CET 2012

Forking from the [py-dev] pytest-timeout 0.2 e-mail thread.

> I am interested in OpenStack but you can you detail a bit more of what
> you want to achieve?

I have attached a rough diagram of what we are building internally (hopefully it will not be filtered out).

About a year ago, we attended a presentation on OpenStack (when it was still driven by Anso Labs before they got acquired by Rackspace).
We were (and are) currently using a private cloud (VMWare) but contemplated the idea of scaling up to public clouds. Problem we had was that
we had to develop custom code for each cloud vendor whether Amazon EC2, Penguin, VMWare, etc. so OpenStack was really a viable path to not lock
ourselves in with a given vendor.

While a bulk of our tests require embedded devices (in which case virtualization makes little sense) a good chunk can be run
on standard workstations (all OS flavors) and in this case it only makes sense to move to a virtual environment.

PyTest combined with xdist was the dream come true as we could focus on developing tests meant to run on
a single machine and later seamlessly parallelize their execution. There is nothing new here.

We were thinking of writing a plugin to xdist (cxdist - c for cloud) that would interface with OpenStack, using the pytest_xdist_setupnodes
and pytest_configure_node hooks.

In those hooks, the plugin would provision the machine (via OpenStack) and then make xdist believe that it is dealing with
physical slaves.

Finally at the end of the run, we would teardown the slaves, leaving resources for other tests to run.

We have not started yet on this as scalability is not an issue but this is our plan. As the diagram shows, the read boxes
are plugins we intend to release to the open source community.

Our teams write a lot of "data driven tests" (testing various AV codecs with different configuration parameters using very similar verification procedure)
and as a result we make heavy use of funcargs.

The pytest_testlink plugin is very similar to the pytest Case Conductor plugin from the Mozilla folks (http://blargon7.com/2012/01/case-conductor-pytest-plugin-proposal/) but interacts with TestLink (teamst.org in which we are currently involved in - improving performance of web services etc.) as opposed to Case Conductor.

However in addition to linking a test case ID to a given python test, we have implemented a simple mechanism to generate test cases
from what we called Test Description Records. Those are currently stored in excel spreadsheets but will be store in TestLink as
test case properties. The object injection is done automatically by the plugin using a custom marker indicating which function argument shall
be used for TDR injection as well as correlating TDR with parametrized test functions.

The point is that by using the funcarg feature offered by pytest, we can generate tremendous amount of test cases with little effort
and this will require scalability and use of virtualization over time.

Sorry for the long description, but I wanted to give a complete overview to help comprehend where we are going.
Our plan is to eventually release all this to the open source community (when we think the plugins are mature and robust enough).

If other people have a need/interest for those plugins (some of them are not illustrated), I would be more than happy to accelerate
this process (getting approval from our Open Source Board). Since pytest_cxdist doesn't exist, this could be open source from the
get go.

Best

Laurent