[pytest-dev] fixtures and pylint W0621

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Mon Dec 9 07:08:30 CET 2013

On Sun, Dec 08, 2013 at 20:49 +0000, Floris Bruynooghe wrote:

> >> I don't really like this change.  IIRC this was considered when the
> >> decorator was introduced and the reason it  was not allowed originally
> >> is because the signature is different between the different ways of
> >> defining fixtures.  That can be very confusing too.
> >
> > Not sure i follow.  What is different?  The only difference is that
> > the decorator allows to specify a caching scope, params etc.  It does
> > not change anything about the fixture functions own signature.
>
> I was assuming the old fixtures do not allow requesting other fixtures
> via funcargs.  But I might well be wrong on that.

Indeed, old pytest_funcarg__fixture already accepted other fixtures as
arguments, so no difference there.

However, i now think and agree that adding @pytest.fixture markers to
old-style pytest_funcarg__NAME fixtures is a bit backwards.  Going for
a pylint plugin probably makes more sense.  So i just backed out
the change (so now you cannot use @pytest.fixture on pytest_funcarg__NAME).

best,
holger