[pytest-dev] plugin status page

Bruno Oliveira nicoddemus at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 13:58:19 CET 2013

Hi Holger,

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 4:04 AM, holger krekel <holger at merlinux.eu> wrote:

> From "devpi test" there is no way currently other than passing in a
> custom tox.ini.  We could think about adding an option to tox but it is
> not clear how that would look like.  Maybe we could assume that
> the tox.ini that is being used has certain environments that would
> pin a pytest version.  It is then a matter of reading out the
> "toxresults" that are posted to devpi after the tests have run.
> (you also see the result of reading that out from "devpi list X".
> There is no API documentation how to read it out but the code
> doing it is contained in devpi_client/list_remove.py (it's basically
> performing some http json requests).
> Our own "--fallback-ini" could of course pin pytest versions as well.

Hmm, I just realized that tox uses the latest pytest version, not the one I
have installed in the environment it is running (which makes sense). This
means that the travis jobs for pytest 2.3.5 are actually running the tests
using 2.4.2. :)

To solve this, I guess the simplest approach would be to read the tox.ini
file and replace occurrences of plain "pytest" to "pytest==<version>" to
enforce tox to use the version we want. Don't know how/if that would play
out nicely with devpi, seems very specific for the purpose we are trying to
accomplish.

I'm finishing the page where the results are posted, at the very least we
will have a compatibility matrix of plugins against python versions and the
latest pytest version. Once I finish this (probably today) I will let you
know so you can take a look.

Best Regards,
Bruno.