[pytest-dev] conftest.py ordering depends on the current directory?

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Mon Sep 15 14:46:11 CEST 2014

Hi Wolfgang,

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 14:15 +0200, Wolfgang Schnerring wrote:
> Hello Holger,
>
> * holger krekel [2014-09-15 13:50]:
> > ... and after more head scratching eventually just changed 2 LOCs only 1-2 hours later ...
>
> I know how these kind of bugs feel... research/analayse/headscratch/headdesk
> for several hours, and the actual fix required is to change a line or two.

I guess you know about https://vine.co/v/hPXTA6l9AqQ :)
(also posted on twitter)

> > The only way you could have done even
> > better is with a PR that adds an xfailing test directly :)
>
> I'll try to do that the next time :), however I must confess the pytest
> internals (and, correspondingly, its selftests) are still quite arcane to me,
> even though I'v dug through there in search of various stuff on several
> occasions now. So... I'd love to get a more in-depth introduction, at a sprint
> sometime maybe?

Sure, or you can try to grab e.g. Floris, Ronny, Anatoly on an occassion
as they know quite a bit as well.  Most self tests are quite functional,
btw, for example if you look at the test i added mapping the example that
you gave.  I.e. writing a test does not require knowing details of the
internals that much.

best,
holger