[pytest-dev] Is it valid to use --boxed with --capture=no?

David Röthlisberger david at stb-tester.com
Mon Sep 29 10:25:56 CEST 2014

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014, at 01:59 PM, holger krekel wrote:
> > I need to use "--boxed" to run each test in a different process, because
> > very occasionally I get segfaults from the video-capture and
> > image-processing libraries that I use, and I don't want that to bring
> > down the rest of the tests.
>
> With pytest-xdist-1.11 you can also run things with "py.test -n1" now which is
> faster and will restart a crashed process if neccessary.  I expect "--boxed"
> to be removed if "py.test -n1" proves to be a sufficient.

"-n1" doesn't suffer from the same UnicodeEncodeError that "--boxed"
suffers from, but it doesn't run each test in a separate process (and it
turns out that I need each test run in a different process for other
reasons related to the way I capture video from the system under test).
So for now I'll switch to using a separate function for logging, instead
of capturing std{out,err}.

Thanks,
Dave.