[pytest-dev] pytest-capturelog status/merging to core?

Arthur Skowronek eisensheng at mailbox.org
Mon Oct 19 23:17:24 CEST 2015

Hi anyone,

the motivation for me behind forking the original plugin was to slightly
extend the provided API and to welcome patches and thus resurrect the
plugin from an unmaintained state.  I was simply fed up with how many
python projects become abandoned.  As far as this goes I'm not sure if
I'm even allowed to say much about the project since my contribution to
it amounts to a bare minimum.  I understand myself as a mere gateway
that takes care of patches, documents them and manages releases of new
versions.  A role that can be fulfilled by anyone on the list here.  So
I'm not important at all in making a decision here.

With this out of the way I still would like to state my opinion though.

It would be nice if the plugin could stay separated from the core
package.  At least I am a huge fan of the modular plugin system as it
can be found in pytest.  I find such a modular design more preferable
compared to a monolithic project that comes with everything attached.
Such a large project makes it harder for users to track what was changed
between versions and keep track of changes important to them.  They
don't need to care at all if the API was changed but they don't use the
plugin.

Also different contributors stated that they still would like to improve
the code base and add more functionality.  It would be nice to give them
their freedom to break the API if necessary to create something even
more usable with a sleeker API.  I'm looking forward to it.

As far as the naming goes I can understand that it makes sense to rename
the plugin to pytest-logging.  The current name was chosen just to avoid
naming conflicts on the PyPI.  But over time I've grown attached to it.
:)  I hoped that we could find someone that would draw a nice dream
catcher as a logo for us that would decorate the documentation I also
wanted to write.  Maybe we can a find a compromise here, something like
pytest-logging-catcher or so?

Thus I'm suggesting the following game plan:

* Releasing the current development state as 1.2

   It matured well enough and it will mark the last release of the 1.x
API family which stays compatible to the existing API of the plugin and
future versions of pytest.  I would also like to stay consistent to
semver as it appears to me to be a sane specification for treating
versioning.

* Renaming the project to pytest-logging(-catcher)

   This step speaks for itself.

* Move under the pytest-dev organization

   This should be the home of the plugin after all.

* Granting Access to PyPI and Github to more maintainers

   I would love to recommend Eldar Abusalimov as a maintainer for the
plugin.  He contributed by far more than compared to me and he knows
what he does.

* Providing some nice documentation aside from the Readme

   Hell yeah.

Optionally:

* Taking my exit

   As stated above I don't see where I fit in the bigger picture.  I'm
not important to continue the project at all.  My day job keeps me busy
enough so I won't be able to land bigger improvements on the plugin.
All I can offer is to merge patches and take care of other issues.  Then
again these chores can be done by anyone else with more time on his/her
hands.

Please let me know what you think about these points.  Thanks!

Greetings,
Arthur

--
Arthur Skowronek