[pytest-dev] pytest-2.8 / new branches
holger at merlinux.eu
Mon Sep 21 14:40:13 CEST 2015
On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 12:24 +0000, Bruno Oliveira wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 9:10 AM holger krekel <holger at merlinux.eu> wrote:
> > Hey all,
> > just changed CONTRIBUTING to reflect the pytest-2.8 reality:
> > https://github.com/pytest-dev/pytest/pull/1038
> > In it i suggest we use a "2.8.X" branch for bugfixes of the 2.8 series
> > and master for features. We could also think about using "bug" and
> > "feature"
> > as branch names to relieve us from changing version numbers and to be more
> > obvious to people at the command line.
> I like using names unrelated to the version. But what about master?
I am one of those not-yet-git-diehards and therefore naively thought
we could go for "bug/feature" as branch names and forget about master.
Florian already noted that it would violate the expectation of "master"
If we thus take "master" as a given we need to decide what it means --
if it means "bugfixes" then we could use "features" to distinguish.
So what about these branches:
- master: bugfixes (for current latest pytest release) which will
usually be released in a new micro revision.
- features: will result in a new minor or major revision.
This satisfies these conditions:
- newcomers will likely submit bugfixes/typos to master and thus don't
need to get re-routed (like happen in the pytest-2.7/master cycle often)
- we don't need to change branch names when we do a new minor/major release
- "features" conveys an implicit meaning for master ("bugfixes")
More information about the pytest-dev