[pytest-dev] pytest-capturelog status/merging to core?

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Fri Sep 25 14:03:12 CEST 2015

* holger krekel <holger at merlinux.eu> [2015-09-25 11:40:47 +0000]:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 11:29 +0000, Bruno Oliveira wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 6:43 AM holger krekel <holger at merlinux.eu> wrote:
> >
> > > pytest-capturelog has been abandoned [1] but is still getting used a lot
> > > as far as i see.
> >

> > Worth mentioning that there is a fork which is currently maintained,
> > pytest-catchlog [1].
> >
> > If we are merging log capturing functionality, I think it would be nice to
> > consider this library too, as well as involve the author.
> >
> > [1] https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pytest-catchlog
>
> definitely. I just created https://github.com/eisensheng/pytest-catchlog/issues/8 to ask the author for participation here.

I replied to the issue - there's an outstanding big PR (#7), and after
that's merged, I planned to help eisensheng to move it to pytest-dev
;)

Unfortunately, the PR also changes the API (for good reasons...), but
I already answered there that there should be a compatibility layer.

As I said there, I'm actually not sure if it should be merged, or at
least not yet - it's finally starting to have some bugfixes and
features compared to capturelog, and I plan to contribute some more
stuff I need when I switched over (which will be when that PR is
merged). Having an independent plugin release cycle has its benefits,
after all...

FWIW, I never noticed any performance issues with both catch- and
capturelog.

Florian