[pytest-dev] maintaining a synced git fork easily?

Raphael Pierzina raphael at hackebrot.de
Mon Sep 28 14:56:20 CEST 2015

Hi!

I also follow the workflow that Florian and Bruno explained.

It pretty much resembles theses guides:
https://help.github.com/articles/configuring-a-remote-for-a-fork/ <https://help.github.com/articles/configuring-a-remote-for-a-fork/>
https://help.github.com/articles/syncing-a-fork/ <https://help.github.com/articles/syncing-a-fork/>

As to the ``push.default`` setting, I usually go with ``simple``. It is the default starting from Git version 2.0. I found the following SO answer helpful in addition to the official docs.
http://stackoverflow.com/a/13148313 <http://stackoverflow.com/a/13148313>

I always explicitly specify the remote repository for a ``fetch`` or ``push`` to not mess up accidentally. But this is totally up to your personal preference.

```bash
# Sync local repo and fork with original repo
$ git checkout master
$ git fetch upstream
$ git merge upstream/master
$ git push origin

# Create feature branch on master
$ git checkout -b add-awesome-feature
…

# Sync master again and rebase your local branch before pushing it
$ git rebase master
$ git push -u origin add-awesome-feature

# Submit a Pull Request. Sync master once the PR has been accepted
# I delete my remote feature branch via the GitHub UI and clean up branch my local branch afterwards
$ git fetch -p origin
$ git branch -d add-awesome-feature
```

Hope this helps!