[pytest-dev] Paid contract desired/bountysource label on gh ?

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Thu Jan 7 05:28:17 EST 2016

On Wed, Jan 06, 2016 at 15:52 +1100, Brianna Laugher wrote:
> I have never seen bounty stuff work well in open source TBH.

me neither.  The overhead in accounting and communication can
easily swallow the benefit.  But maybe we could tell companies
that they can chip in multiples of 500 euros and they get to prioritize
issues and otherwise money will flow into work deemed useful by the team.
That money could be invoiced and distributed (companies prefer invoices
not some random paypal transfers) by merlinux, my little company,
based on decisions by the team.  Question is how we do all this without
inducing too much overhead.

What i did see work somewhat ok is campaigning for particular
proposals like the PyPy project does (see right hand side of
http://pypy.org ).  They work with the US-based Software Freedom Conservancy
which takes a 10% cut and otherwise cares for getting the money in and
distributing it to whoever is tasked with implementing the proposal.

> Perhaps the website needs to be a bit more pointed in showing that there
> are consultants (such as Holger, but surely others too) available to work
> on pytest for a fee.

Makes sense IMHO.  FWIW I am doing a 2h online consulting session with a
company tomorrow and am happy to refer companies to other pytestonistas.

> IMO pytest is well into the size and popularity that it would benefit from
> a fulltime paid staff or 1 or more. We have quite an active volunteer
> community which is great! but it's difficult for volunteers to resolve
> problems that require major refactors.

Last time i asked everybody appeared busy enough to not feel able to commit
much time even if there is money.

FWIW i suggest we first head for a fundraiser for travel and lodging costs to
do a 3-5 day sprint in spring or summer 2016. I offer to organize it
in my home town Freiburg in the black forest.  I guess we'd need a couple
of thousand Euros to get everybody interested to come.

best,
holger

about me:    http://holgerkrekel.net/about-me/
contracting: http://merlinux.eu