[pytest-dev] the sorry state of pylib tests and pylib

Ronny Pfannschmidt opensource at ronnypfannschmidt.de
Tue Sep 27 10:13:57 EDT 2016

On 27.09.2016 15:59, Bruno Oliveira wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 10:07 AM Ronny Pfannschmidt
> <opensource at ronnypfannschmidt.de
> <mailto:opensource at ronnypfannschmidt.de>> wrote:
>
>     as things stand we have to maintain it until py.test no longer
>     depends on it
>
>     a 2.0 release that kills py.code is a non-option as any project
>     dependign on ot will be limited in py.test version
>

> Don't we already vendor py.code in pytest? That makes it independent
> from what's installed on the system, at least as far as py.code is
> concerned. My idea was just to remove parts which py.test does not use
> or is vendored in (svn and py.code come to mind).

we vendored it to since changing its api in pylib would break down-streams
if we now remove it we break down-streams just the same
and we could just have put it into a separate package to begin with

>     my plan is to de-vendor bits of pylib (like iniconfig, apipkg)
>
> You mean remove them from pylib and publish them as isolated packages?

correct, the main reason to pull in things like iniconfig and apipkg
was, bad packaging tooling 6-7 years ago
its much better now

> How do others feel about having pytest depend on more packages? I'm
> usually fine about it, but would like to know others opinions.
>
>     some have been lone projects at the beginning anyway (apipkg and
>     iniconfig got only vendored due to the bad state of packaging
>
>     stuff like svn can be removed as it is completely broken
>
>     basically once we de-vendored the bits we use and removed the
>     py.path dependency of pytest,
>     we can put pylib into a abandoned state
>

> About py.path, we could implement a backward compatible interface
> which is implemented as a thin layer in terms of pathlib (I think we
> discussed this on GTalk some other day).
thats one of the plans
but i would like to eventually get rid of the api alltogether,
we couldnt push it when we had the chance, and now pathlib is the standard

> Cheers,
> Bruno.

cheers,
Ronny