[pytest-dev] deprecating/removing py.path.local.write due to https://github.com/pytest-dev/py/issues/107

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Sat Jun 24 13:31:52 EDT 2017

Hi Bruno, Ronny,

On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 14:51 +0000, Bruno Oliveira wrote:
> Hi Ronny,
>
> Not sure about removing as it will break things that are working even if by
> accident. I don't see any problem about deprecating it and warning about
> not using it in new code.

... maybe simply documenting the new methods (write_bytes/write_text i guess)
and not mentioning the old methods anymore but not removing/changing them.
That has happened several times and i think it's a good approach.

I suspect there is quite some code (in tests and outside of tests) that
implicitely uses path.local.write so removing it would break a lot of
things that currently work even with a messy api.

holgr