[pytest-dev] Remove AUTHORS file?

Bruno Oliveira nicoddemus at gmail.com
Wed May 10 14:13:26 EDT 2017

Hi everyone,

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 2:47 PM Bruno Oliveira <nicoddemus at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 2:42 PM Florian Bruhin <me at the-compiler.org> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, May 04, 2017 at 02:24:36PM +0000, Bruno Oliveira wrote:
>> > In light of that, I propose to change it so it is generated
>> automatically
>> > from git, would that be acceptable?
>>
>> FWIW here's what I do for qutebrowser:
>>
>> https://github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/blob/v0.10.1/scripts/dev/src2asciidoc.py#L425-L445
>

> Thanks for the link Florian, the corrections dict is a good idea.

For those interested in this topic, I've opened a PR introducing a task to
generate update the announcement docs when making a new release:

https://github.com/pytest-dev/pytest/pull/2397

I've decided to drop the idea of a task to generate the AUTHORS file from
the git history, it seems too much work for little gain. Copying from the
PR above:

---

I started with a task to generate the AUTHORS file from git history but
because pytest has a very old history, a lot of the names (60+) are not in
a proper "name" format, a few examples:

famousgarkin
fijal
foxx
gabriel.reis
getxsick

I realized that finding the proper names would be a ton of work and not
really worth the trouble, given that the AUTHORS file is updated during PRs
and not during the release process.

Cheers,
Bruno.