[pytest-dev] the potential need to release 4.0 instead of 3.1, proposal

Bruno Oliveira nicoddemus at gmail.com
Wed May 17 17:27:09 EDT 2017

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 2:18 PM Floris Bruynooghe <flub at devork.be> wrote:

> We have a deprecation cycle so we can't just break the API and bump to
> 4.0 as I understand it.  So we accidentally broke the API, that sucks
> but generally I don't think we can fix that anymore

That's true, we won't help anybody by bumping the version to 4.0 because
that particular change (TerminalRepr being updated to new-style class) has
already been in effect since 2016-12-05.

given the deprecation cycle I think the only real option we have is to
> rollback all the other changes to subclass object as we know that will
> break more API instead of releasing that change.

That's a very good point.

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 5:35 PM Ronny Pfannschmidt <
opensource at ronnypfannschmidt.de> wrote:

> Personally ID strongly prefer a major release because we do change an api
> that is consumed,

You are right, but as Floris commented fortunately we can still rollback
that change.

IMHO we should do one on any case where we know beforehand,

Definitely.

My general impression is that the majority agrees on a minor release being
> sufficient, and I can go with that.

Given all the points here I think we should rollback the PR which changed
all classes to new-style classes, given that it might generate more
breakages, and go for a 3.1 release.

The TerminalRepr change that went with 3.0.5 will remain as it is, as
rolling back that at this point will generate more confusion.

I've opened a PR reverting the new-style classes change:

https://github.com/pytest-dev/pytest/pull/2414

Unless somebody has other points for discussion, I believe once we merge
that PR we can go for the 3.1 release, what do you guys think?

Cheers,
Bruno.