[pytest-dev] [proposal] abolishing the features branch

Bruno Oliveira nicoddemus at gmail.com
Tue May 23 13:30:25 EDT 2017

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 1:18 PM RonnyPfannschmidt <
opensource at ronnypfannschmidt.de> wrote:

> https://github.com/pytest-dev/pytest/issues/2430 is a perfect example of
> why we need *more* and *faster* feedback
>
> we keep doing things like that and i think we should reexamine on how we
> want to handle those
> i am very disappointed with our current process, the feedback speed is
> very sub-par and it shows
> i want to see, more and smaller releases so we can get more detailed
> feedback
>
> i also want to see smaller and more self-contained changes
>
> i want the time back where, when pytest breaks, the user can fix it
> (its what got me to pytest in the first place)
>
> and i don't see it coming back if we keep doing what we currently do

I agree we need to make minor releases more often and I was under the
impression that everyone also agreed to that, in fact we are now taking
steps to make the release even simpler. :)

Having a features branch in order to be able to make quick bug fix releases
is independent from making more frequent minor releases, IMHO.

Cheers,
Bruno.