[pytest-dev] Partnership possibility with Pytest

Alex Georgie alex at seedanddew.com
Wed Aug 8 01:03:39 EDT 2018

Hey everyone,

Didn't actually see Florian's last email until just now.

>I guess it could still work out, but I feel like
>assigning/dividing funds manually (think Patreon) both results in a more
>fair distribution, and gives me control where my money actually goes,
>based on what I find most important/useful/... for what I do.

I suspect when people try to give money that way, the money tends to silo
in one of the bigger, more visible projects - like Bootstrap or Vue.
There's nothing wrong with those projects getting money but there are
plenty of others that get forgotten in the process.

I think you have a point about control. We don't really want to compete
with projects like Patreon or others. I think they have their place but our
differentiating factor is that you don't need to control anything. Our
target market is the techie in his 30-40's. They have a family and maybe
kids and while code and open source is important to them, it's really low
on the totem pole of their priorities. They don't currently contribute
anything but its not about the money, its that they need to figure out
where their money should go to and redistribute every few months. It's a
decision they keep needing to make and if we keep asking people to do work
on top of contributing, they'll eventually stop contributing altogether.

The big draw of the platform is that it's passive income for projects and
passive distribution for users. You set it and forget it and automatically
contribute.

Does that seem reasonable? Any other questions, concerns or feedback? Are
we comfortable with trying this out with Open Collective?

Alex