[pytest-dev] Results of the "drop python 3" poll and what i envision to do about it

Bruno Oliveira nicoddemus at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 07:29:03 EDT 2018

On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 8:22 AM Ronny Pfannschmidt <
opensource at ronnypfannschmidt.de> wrote:

> In the plan i outlined, the first python 3 only release would be the one
> that drops 3.4 mid-2019 - at that point in time the maintenance branch
> would be prepared before release merge time.

I see, thanks, forgot that 3.4 EOL is mid 2019.

Once we make a release dropping Python 2 and the maintenance branch is up,
what will be our policy regarding large changes in the codebase? I mean,
once we have access to Python3 only features, I suspect we will want to
clean up the codebase quite a bit and make use of those features
(keyword-only arguments come to mind). This clean up and use of new
features will make porting critical bug-fixes to the maintenance branch a
lot more difficult. Should we hold on on large changes Python 3 only
changes until Python 2 EOL, or just bite the bullet and see what happens
when we try to port critical fixes to the maintenance branch?

Also this reminds me: we should document clearly what we consider
"critical" that should be ported to the maintenance branch.

Cheers,.