[pytest-dev] [core] Tidelift Funding

Daniel Hahler genml+pytest-dev at thequod.de
Wed May 8 04:53:29 EDT 2019

On 02.05.19 11:05, Bruno Oliveira wrote:

>     > there were no obligations whatsoever after joining the platform other than
>     > "maintain the project", which they were already doing anyway. There's no
>     > obligation to market the platform in anyway as well (say, being forced to
>     > put their logo on the website).
>
>     Their website says otherwise:
>
>     https://tidelift.com/docs/lifting/marketing
>
>     "At Tidelift, we're working with maintainers to jointly create a product. As
>     with any product offering, we need to tell people the product exists."
>
>     "When you sign up to lift a package and get paid, we're asking for you to keep
>     a mention of the Tidelift Subscription at minimum on your project's main "home
>     page"—whether that's a dedicated website or simply a README on GitHub. We're
>     flexible about the exact wording and format, and happy to consult with you on
>     it."
>
>     "But the main reason is that we do need to tell potential subscribers about the
>     product, so they can support you by buying it!"
>
> Hmm you are right, but I think it is more of a suggestion rather than an obligation.

It reads more like a requirement.

See https://tidelift.com/docs/lifting/maintenance:

> One reason for this is that it proves you're a maintainer of the
> project and that there's a consensus among comaintainers to
> participate in Tidelift.

But that would be fine I guess, and could have just the form of a badge
in the list of badges we have already.

>>     https://tidelift.com/docs/lifting/tasks-overview

> You are right. Fortunately those were very quick to do in my
> experience with pytest-mock. I believe the same amount of work would
> be required by pytest, even if it is a much larger project.

The only more involving / recurring task appears to be pasting the release notes
over into their dashboard for releases, which is not that hard - and
they plan to automate this.

I like their approach, and am in for also receiving funds.

Cheers,
Daniel.

--
https://daniel.hahler.de/