[Python-3000] Adaptation [was:Re: Iterators for dict keys, values, and items == annoying :)]

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sat Apr 1 18:31:02 CEST 2006

On Fri, Mar 31, 2006, Alex Martelli wrote:

> Once in a while, I'm moved to sing this refrain again, but thanks to
> the ensuing discussion I'm soon reminded that there are many more
> gratifying activities I could pursue instead -- repeated beating of
> my forehead against suitable brick walls spring to mind as being both
> more productive and more fun, for example.

That's because you're a masochist.  ;-)

Seriously, I can almost see why you think adaptation is a huge gain, but
every time I start looking closer, I get bogged down in trying to
understand adaptation registration.  Do you have a simple way of
explaining how that works *well* and *simply*?  Because unless one can
handle registration cleanly, I don't understand how adaptation can be
generally useful for Python.  Conversely, if adaptation registration is
*NOT* required, please explain that in simple terms.

"Look, it's your affair if you want to play with five people, but don't
go calling it doubles."  --John Cleese anticipates Usenet