[Python-3000] String formating operations in python 3k

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Tue Apr 4 17:41:39 CEST 2006

Georg Brandl wrote:
> Greg Ewing wrote:
>
>>Barry Warsaw wrote:
>>

>>>I don't much like the $"" prefix
>>
>>This was discussed during the last round of formatting
>>wars, and the conclusion was that having $ both
>>inside and outside the string would be too visually
>>confusing.
>

> Another issue is that current string prefixes act at parse time
> while the $ prefix would act at runtime.

A $ prefix would act at parse time, i.e., $"answer: $answer" would be
equivalent to ("answer: " + str(answer)).  like r and u, $ would change
the meaning of the literal, it wouldn't be an operator, and so this
would be a syntax error:

     answer = 1
     msg = "answer: $answer"
     print $msg

Though I also agree that $"answer: $answer" introduces a confusing
number of $'s.