[Python-3000] String formating operations in python 3k

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Wed Apr 5 06:46:13 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 04 April 2006 23:37, Ian Bicking wrote:
 > Note that if it takes keyword arguments, but doesn't take a single
 > dictionary-like object (like % and string.Template.substitute do), then
 > you lose any ability to use clever or interesting dictionary-like
 > objects for substitution.

Indeed; we currently do that so we can have ConfigParser values that refer to
${section:option} to get values from elsewhere in the configuration.  Very
nice to be able to do that.

I've long been in favor of supporting strings that aren't identifiers as
substitution names.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.   <fdrake at acm.org>