[Python-3000] String formating operations in python 3k

Ron Adam rrr at ronadam.com
Wed Apr 5 07:38:04 CEST 2006

Greg Ewing wrote:
> Ian Bicking wrote:
>
>> Using {} instead of $/${} doesn't seem like a big win.
>
> Perhaps this is where we differ. To me it
> *does* make quite a substantial difference
> to readability -- easily enough to override
> whatever small advantage there might be in
> following what everyone else does.
>
> --
> Greg

I agree with you Greg about {}. +1

There is also a factor of underlying consistency in grouping that I
like.  In most every place else in python a subgroup is delimited by
like or opposing symbols.  So this just seems to be an extension of that.

Most of the examples have been reasonably easy to read because they
contain white space at the right places.  To better compare use harder
to read examples without white spaces.

     "abc%sefg"
     "abc$(s)efg"
     "abc{s}efg"   <-- I think this is an improvement.

Cheers,
    Ron