[Python-3000] Interfaces (was: Re: Adaptation vs. Generic Functions)

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Apr 5 22:37:33 CEST 2006

On 4/5/06, Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> wrote:
> Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > I have to write my slides for a talk about Py3K later today, but I'll
> > be back. In the mean time I've rejected PEPs 245 and 246 in
> > expectation of something better that's imminent!
>
> Is PEP 245 ("Python Interface Syntax") that related to adaptation or
> generic functions?  Certainly they've gone hand-in-hand for some time,
> but adaptation as an idea isn't really going away (just rephrased), and
> the motivation for the formalism of an interface isn't going away
> either.  So I don't think this invalidates the interface PEP.

Correct; it's more that that PEP is also 5+ years old without getting
traction. I think we need a new PEP for interfaces, less focused on
syntax and more on use cases and requirements. Rejection of the PEP
doesn't render it inaccessible; I'm just acknowledging that PEP 245
isn't ever going to be implemented in that form.

(And yes, there are other PEPs of which the same could be said; I'll
weed those out later.)

If you feel like writing a new Interfaces PEP draft, please go ahead!