[Python-3000] Sane transitive adaptation

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sun Apr 9 02:05:17 CEST 2006

At 03:26 PM 4/8/2006 -0700, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>On 4/8/06, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> > Those are mostly libraries, not frameworks, and for the most part you're
> > not *integrating* them.  You're not trying to make Perforce store
> > information in your database, or to put a database API over Perforce, for
> > example.
>
>OK -- then I feel vindicated that the characterization of "most Python
>programmers" as integrators doesn't apply to me. I guess I'm not a
>typical Python programmer anyway. :-)

I suspect that the perspective of people like Alex, Jim, and myself is
distorted by our being in consulting organizations (like Strakt, my group
at Verio, and Zope corp.) where the focus is on having a toolkit that can
be used to produce *multiple* applications, or configurable
applications.  Frameworks, in other words.

Verio does a lot of "private label" hosting, where each client has
significantly different business rules.  Being able to have a core
framework whose behavior can be significantly changed by just importing a
different ruleset is a very useful concept.  Indeed, the one nibble I got
about possible consulting involving RuleDispatch was from another firm
doing private label web services of a different sort; the same kind of
needs apply.

I suspect that Zope and Strakt have had similar influences shaping their
perception of what a "typical Python programmer" is or does, due to the
nature of consulting work.

I doubt, however, that we are really "typical", in the sense that most
Python programmers do not work for consulting organizations that maintain
an organizational "stash" of tools used to create the same kinds of
applications over and over again, with variations.  They thus don't obtain
any economic leverage from having tools that allow extreme customization
while retaining modularity.

So, approaches that may seem reasonable to you or other typical Python
programmers will sometimes be objected to by folks like Alex and Jim and I,
in that we will tend to think of a whole series of related applications
being written with the approach, rather than just one.  It probably also
explains why we are usually so intently interested in "meta" features and
often pioneer them; again we're thinking about writing entire families of
programs.

Ironically, this no longer applies to me from a career perspective; I'm not
in that business any more.  It frequently surprises me when I realize how
easy it is to use what I think of as cheap hacks -- but which are quite
adequate approaches if you intend to write only one program of the kind you
are working on.  :)

Anyway, as to Alex's "most Python programmers are integrators" comment, I
used to think it was reasonable.  And it probably sounded reasonable in his
organization, and in Zope's.  After all, "most Python programmers" in such
organizations would be a reasonable assessment.  It's just not reasonable
in the overall Python ecosphere.