[Python-3000] Adaptation vs. Generic Functions

Tim Hochberg tim.hochberg at ieee.org
Mon Apr 10 03:57:06 CEST 2006

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On 4/9/06, Tim Hochberg <tim.hochberg at cox.net> wrote:
>
>>Rather than having you scroll all through this long message/file, I'll instead
>>place all the examples up here at the top. Assuming that you save this as
>>pprint2.py, you should be able to run the examples just by executing the
>>file.
>

> Suggestion: next time use doctest for this purpose.

Good point. That's actually my normal procedure, but for reasons that
don't make any sense in retrospect it seemed better to do it this way.

> Also, can you post a URL for this code? Unfortunately your mailer
> wrapped some of the longer lines.

Ooops. I guess it wraps at 72 characters, not 80. I just put the code up
here:

http://members.cox.net/~tim.hochberg/pprint2.py

> BTW, thanks a lot for working out this elaborate example! It takes
> working with real-world problems to validate programming innovations.

You're welcome. It was interesting, although also a ridiculous time sink.

Regards,

-tim