[Python-3000] AST access (WAS: Adaptation vs. Generic Functions)

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Mon Apr 10 13:01:42 CEST 2006

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> I'm more concerned about the choice of AST data structure and how it
> affects IronPython, PyPy, Jython and possible other Python
> implementations. I'd like to keep both the AST and the bytecode spec
> out of the language spec,

Well, it wouldn't be any less portable than
bytecode hacking, and could potentially be
made more portable.

A standard non-text representation of Python
code seems like a useful thing to have,
even if it's implemented quite separately
from the main compiler.

We're actually part way there already, with
the internal AST <--> python AST transformation.
The other implementations would just need to
provide their own versions of that transformation.

--
Greg