[Python-3000] Test and Assign [was: More wishful thinking]

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Tue Apr 18 18:24:35 CEST 2006

> > Presumably a reference to a Python symbol would be not just the symbol
> > name string, but also an indicator of the namespace of the symbol.
>
> That would be something very new -- nothing like that was
> implied by the original suggestion, and no other language
> I know of that has symbols gives them any such powers.

Really?  Common Lisp symbols have the form "[<package>:]<name>", where
<package> defaults to the local namespace (well, actually the default
is a bit more complicated).  The original poster was suggesting
":<name>", which I suppose I read in its Lisp interpretation as a
symbol in the KEYWORD package.  (See the "symbol-package" function in
Common Lisp.)

Bill