[Python-3000] Function call speed (Was: Cleaning up argument list parsing)

Jim Jewett jimjjewett at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 19:27:18 CEST 2006

On 4/17/06, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > Inlining code obviously addresses this, but that's often
> > killing code structure.

> Would automated inlining be a legitimate use for
> ast-hacking?

To keep the same semantics, you need some notification that the (real
version of the) inlined code just got modified.

Which again calls for namespaces as slightly different from
dictionaries.  (Perahps with warnings even now if a module is modified
after the initialization is "completed".)  Making this change at
strictly the python level is a bit of a pain, because modules and
classes are evaluated in a standard dictionary (from PyDictNew),
before calling the metaclass.

I don't see any reason it would need to wait for python 3.

-jJ