[Python-3000] Futures in Python 3000

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Apr 21 10:10:07 CEST 2006

Aurélien Campéas wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 07:59:43PM +1200, Greg Ewing wrote:
> > Andy Sy wrote:
> > > Does this mean that Py3K intends to reuse major portions of
> > > Python 2.x's implementation?
> > I expect that almost all of it will be reused.
>
> Couldn't PyPy be considered an interesting contender ?

That would be far too big a change. Last time I read
anything about PyPy, it was even more head-exploding
than metaclasses.

> Sorry to jump in like this, but what about the *current* stackless ?
> Does it also break all existing C extensions ... ?

As far as I know, the current Stackless is some sort
of compromise that keeps the current C API but doesn't
always work properly (I seem to recall there being some
trouble with the way Tkinter uses the C stack, for
example).

Then there's something around called "greenlets" that
was supposed to be some brilliant stroke of genius
that solved all these problems, but I haven't heard
anything about it since.

So currently there seems to be no magic bullet for
these problems.

--
Greg