[Python-3000] Brainstorming: Python Metaprogramming

Talin talin at acm.org
Mon Apr 24 01:42:33 CEST 2006

Ivan Krstic <krstic <at> fas.harvard.edu> writes:

> Talin wrote:
> > Anyway, I wanted to throw this out there for discussion. I'm mainly
> > interested in a discussion of ways that we could facilitate
> > additional metaprogramming in Python, with the tiniest possible changes
> > to the language
>
> PEP 3099 contains Guido's explicit pronouncement against this, from what
> I can tell. If this were not so, the defop approach that Logix already
> implements for Python (http://www.livelogix.net/logix/intro.html) would
> be a neat macro facility to evaluate.

I may be guilty of "BDFL-lawyering" here, but I believe that what I am talking
about falls outside of the 3099 prohibition. Of course, if Guido wants to expand
that prohibition to cover the subject, I won't gripe (much) :)

Specifically, I am *not* talking about programmable syntax, or completely
changing the execution model of Python, or anything of that nature.

-- Talin