[Python-3000] sets in P3K?

Ron Adam rrr at ronadam.com
Thu Apr 27 23:10:57 CEST 2006

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On 4/27/06, Ron Adam <rrr at ronadam.com> wrote:
>> I think it's been suggested before that there should be a PY2.x to PY3.x
>> conversion utility to facilitate the move to PY3K.  So maybe a sticking
>> point as when to *not* do something would be, if it's not possible to
>> translate a changed 2.x feature to a PY3K equivalent automatically
>> rather than if it will break 2.x code or not.
>
> Please read the section "Compatibility and Transition" in PEP 3000.
> Perfect automatic translation is not a goal. A combination of tools
> should be able to diagnose all areas of a program that require changes
> but may not necessarily be able to tell you how to change it.
>
> --

Thanks, I just read it.

In that light I would say to be able to translate easily would still be
a plus, which is the case of {} vs {:}.

I didn't mean to suggest it as an absolute goal.  I am suggesting that
those items that can be translated automatically have a bit less
resistance to change than those items that can't.  In a way it's only
the next lower (or higher depending on how you look at it) rung on the
ladder as far as being backwards compatibility goes.

Cheers,
   Ron