[Python-3000] Make it easier to port to small devices.

Blake Winton bwinton at latte.ca
Fri Apr 28 04:28:46 CEST 2006

Specifically, I'm thinking of the 300MHz Palm TX sitting on the table
beside me, which should be more than powerful enough to run Python, but
in general I think it should be easier to cross-compile Python for new
architectures.  I've taken a stab at it, and perhaps it's because I
don't have enough experience porting large projects, but it turned out
to be a non-starter for me.  It might be worth talking to the Nokia and
Pippy people to see what the major challenges were, and how we could
make it easier for them.

I see smaller devices as a new field, without much competition from
other languages, in which Python could come to dominate.  (Python on the
Palm at least exists, even if it is based on 1.5.  I haven't heard
anything about anyone attempting to put Ruby on a Palm.)

Thanks,
Blake.