[Python-3000] Make it easier to port to small devices.

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Apr 28 22:30:30 CEST 2006

Neal Norwitz wrote:
> What problems did you have?  There is a patch or two up on SF that
> address some of the issues.
>
> I know of some problems, but we don't have a volunteer to work on
> these issues.  So if you could be that volunteer, maybe we could solve
> this problem.  Not for 3.0 in the future, but for 2.5 today.

Right. Portability isn't a Python 3000 topic: Python was always portable
to the platforms people care about, and will always be. If it doesn't
run on your system, it is because nobody cared about porting it, even
though it is likely very easy to port Python, if you know how to do
porting in the first place.

There might be other issues with memory foot-print, and they certainly
deserve discussion, and there might be other issues with embedded
systems (e.g. how to expose the funny peripheral devices that these
systems often have), but all of this could happen today if there were
only contributions.

Regards,
Martin