[Python-3000] Add a standard GUI system

Kay Schluehr kay.schluehr at gmx.net
Sat Apr 29 09:28:44 CEST 2006

Bill Janssen schrieb:

>I mentioned this a couple of weeks ago, and here it is again.
>
>The biggest wart in Python 2, the one that forces me to use another
>language, is the lack of a standard GUI.  By standard, I mean that
>when you install Python on a system, the GUI toolkit is also
>installed.
>
>I suggest that for Python 3K, we adopt Greg Ewing's PyGUI into the
>standard library.  It's been around for years, works on every major
>platform (using GTK+ for Windows and X11, and Cocoa for Mac OS X), is
>Pythonic in flavor, and is aimed at eventual inclusion into the
>standard library.

No one uses GTK+ on Windows.

Personally I'd suggest to delay the question of a standard GUI toolkit
for Py3K and observe what's going on in the XUL, XPCOM, Firefox...
domain. I think that's where the more exciting things are happening
right now and I would like to see a statement of the Python community
embracing this kind of development instead of quarreling about legacy
GUI toolkits.