[Python-3000] genexp syntax / lambda

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak at knm.org.pl
Sat Apr 29 22:52:37 CEST 2006

greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz (Greg Ewing) writes:

>> given    - much clearer and slightly more concise; or
>> ?         - slightly clearer and much more concise  ?
>
> That would be replacing something that's familiar to at least some
> people (even if they are geeks) with something that's familiar to
> nobody.

"?" would be familiar for me, because this is what my language Kogut
uses :-)

(I know that Python won't change here.)

Here are some other ideas that Py3k is going to borrow from Kogut:
- int/int doesn't truncate
- writing to stdout uses a function rather than a builtin syntax
- < > <= >= don't work across types by default
- floats are not accepted as sequence indices
- the distinction between int and long is an implementation detail
- all strings are Unicode
- the set of keys of a dict is a view
- vararg application uses a builtin syntax rather than a function
- generic functions are supported
- collections are often built by applying the constructor of a
  concrete type to a generator

I'm glad that languages are somewhat converging.

Unfortunately they will still disagree about what iteration over
a dict yields, which required a tweak in my Kogut<->Python bridge
(checking iteritems before PyObject_GetIter to obtain the other
semantics).

--
   __("<         Marcin Kowalczyk
   \__/       qrczak at knm.org.pl