[Python-3000] improved threading in py3k

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak at knm.org.pl
Fri Aug 4 23:42:07 CEST 2006

"tomer filiba" <tomerfiliba at gmail.com> writes:

> once a thread is created, there is no way to kill it *externally*.
> which is a pity, since the thread must be "willing" to die,

Doing that unconditionally is impractical: the thread has no way
to protect itself from being killed at moments it has invariants of
shared data temporarily violated.

I agree that it should not require continuous checking for a
thread-local "ask to terminate" flag spread into all potentially
long-running loops, i.e. it requires a language mechanism. But it
must be temporarily blockable and catchable.

Here is how I think the design should look like:
http://www.cs.ioc.ee/tfp-icfp-gpce05/tfp-proc/06num.pdf

This is the same issue as with other asynchronous exceptions like ^C.
What has happened to Freund's & Mitchell's "Safe Asynchronous Exceptions
For Python" <http://www.cs.williams.edu/~freund/papers/02-lwl2.ps>?
My design is an extension of that.

--
   __("<         Marcin Kowalczyk